Sunday, July 1, 2007

Ellie Stands Alone!

Today Eliana Joy stood alone....I said with enthusiasm "ta da!" We did it over and over again. It was so fun to watch her be thrilled with herself. It won't be long now and she will be walking. It is sorta sad really...her independence begins. Soon she won't need me to get around anymore. Well, if I don't stop thinking about this I'll just end up depressed. See, I like being in charge. I like making all the decisions for my kids. I like dressing them, telling them when to go to bed, scheduling their days, organizing their lives. As they move into independence the battles begin. That's because I must give up total control. As a mom with children ranging from 1 to 20 years old, I have been through this struggle before. It is right. It is a good struggle to go through. It is just as God ordained it, but it is not fun. Being a person who struggles in a huge way with disaproval, letting my children grow up, discover who they are, wear their hair how they want, date the people they choose, listen to their own music and any number of other things is the hardest work I've ever had to do, but I am so thankful to be able to do it. My relationship with my Lord has grown so much through it. He has always been in control, but I've had to surrender to it and recognize His control. I have had to turn to Him again and again as the author and perfecter of my children's faith. I have learned to turn a worry into a prayer over and over again. I am learning to enter into the rest that my Abba offers me at a moment's notice. Stopping, remembering Who is in charge, and finding rest for my soul. With rest comes peace...and don't we all long for that? God Bless you and may you find His rest this week.

3 comments:

DAVID AND AMY VENN'S WEBSITE said...

Hi Jackie, I sure know what you are talking about!! I was so proud and sad all at the same time with each of Emily Grace's hurdles to her eventual walking. She went through each step so quickly from crawling to running that I stayed in an emotional frenzy! It just kills me because now she is not content with me just holding her..she wants down to "do it all by herself."
My baby is a toddler...now I gonna cry again. :(
Have a great one!!
Amy

Brandi said...

Yeah Ellie! Gracie is FINALLY walking across the room a bit. Once you get to 16 months you start thinking, "walk already"!!!

Love you. . .thanks for the prayers, I know I'm asking for a miracle this week!

Brandi

Roy and Lori said...

Just wanted to say hi! I really
enjoyed reading your blog!

p.s. Have a great holiday!