Friday, July 29, 2011

Chapter 9 and Only 2 to go

Chapter 9 speaks of humility and going lower, bending the knee in a humble state...even lower...allowing God to be God and me to receive whatever He gives as a gift of grace.

In the midst of this truth life comes barging in. Voskamp gives these two definitions..."Lament is a cry of belief in a good God, a God who has His ear to our hearts, a God who transfigures the ugly into beauty. Complaint is the bitter howl of unbelief in any benevolent God in this moment, a distrust in the love-beat of the Father's heart. God's anger kindles hot when the essence of the complaint implies doubt in His love..." I was speaking with someone today who was definitely complaining about God. There is a HUGE difference in pouring our hearts out in a humble state to a God we trust and complaining about God and His ways, not trusting in His goodness at all. Our attitude in the midst of life goes back to what we believe about God Himself. Is He good or not? This question and the answer to it will color our entire journey in this life. It will permeate our lives through and through. Somehow we must come to the conclusion that first and foremost God is good and He is trustworthy. He cares about us in a perfect way. We must see beyond the moment of pain to the goodness of who He is and His perfect love for us. We must accept this from our low position and allow His Godness to reign in our lives. Again, gratitude is the key...it seems to be the beginning and the end to the fullness of life we are all seeking. The joy that allows us to celebrate in the midst of pain who He is and the trust in what He is doing. This is not easy...but without a bended knee it is impossible. "I can't be receptive to God unless I receive what He gives."

Abba, Father,
Let me humble myself by laying low before You and seeing all that You allow in my life as a way to bring You honor. This life is hard and You never deny that. You know that I am but dust. Praise and thanks be to You, the One with the plan, the One that I can trust and rest in. You are good all the time. I will put my hope in You.

Yours,

No comments: