Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Better Late Than Never

Hey there folks!

Time is a flyin' by. What a crazy, busy, memory making summer we are having. I finally got to the bookstore today and bought the book I've heard so much about..."One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. I am going to attempt to daily take some time to process this book on my blog. I am famous for getting too busy to write...but, I'm gonna try to stick with this one. To quote Andy Stanley, "application makes all the difference."

So this is entry no.1
The book is about discovering God in the everyday and celebrating by choosing gratitude. The very first chapter is a bit of a heart wrencher, but certainly brings to life the challenge of faith in the midst of human tragedy. For my first entry I am just going to quote the author's poignant description of the human struggle of faith in God. "I wake and put feet to the plank floors, and I believe the Serpent's hissing lie, the refrain of his campaign through the ages: God isn't good. It's the cornerstone of his(the enemy's)movement. That God withholds good from His children, that God does not genuinely, fully, love us. Doubting God's goodness, distrusting His intent, discontent with what He's given, we desire more."

I have never actually understood in such a clear way that the very struggle most of us have in trusting God is our own disbelief in the very character of God. That seems like such a "duh" now, but as I have journeyed with so many who have wrestled with their faith, Voskamp
seems to have hit the nail on the head. From the beginning, in that perfect garden, all the Enemy had to do was to get Adam and Eve to the
point of discontentment...dissatisfaction...a hunger for something more... to have them wrapped around his finger. And he has been preaching that same message ever since.

I am in a new place with God than I ever have been before. I am learning to trust Him and see Him as so much bigger than ever before and I think this book is going to enrich my journey. Like I said before I am a bit late in reading this book, but if you haven't read it and want to join me, I'd certainly love to have you and would welcome your comments. You can find the book in any bookstore and catch up easy. Just
one short chapter a day...2 if you start tomorrow.

Many blessings and love. Hope to see you tomorrow.



No comments: